I set this back to 7 days, in an attempt to give DNS a chance to 'catch up' before the addresses potentially changed again, but we're still getting incorrect DNS entries. Our settings are now an amalgam of what went before (which didn't work) and what I've gleaned from MS documentation.
DC1 has DNS servers setup as itself and DC2 (primary and secondary)DC2 has DNS servers setup as DC1 and itself (primary and secondary) Do you have an account set up as proxy for the DHCP server to register users?
I mentioned this and got 'Yeah, we know.'So I decided to do some poking around.
Our DHCP was set to lease addresses for 1 day, for reasons which were never explained to me.As far as my understanding goes (which is clearly not far enough), DHCP should update DNS as soon as it itself updates.I set this back to 7 days, in an attempt to give DNS a chance to 'catch up' before the addresses potentially changed again, but we're still getting incorrect DNS entries.Under the SOA tab, the refresh interval is 15 minutes, retry is 10, and the expiration is 1 day. There are no DNS events in the log which suggest that something is set up wrong.
DHCP is set as follows: Enable DNS dynamic updates - always dynamically update DNS A and PTR records.
We've been having an issue for a while now where clients are not updating their DNS records, despite automatic updates in DHCP being turned on.